To achieve certification as a professional planner, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Submit an application for assessment to the Professional Standards Board (PSB) through the appropriate entry route, and receive approval of that application
- Be granted membership in a Provincial/Territorial Institute or Association (PTIA) of the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) (please note you cannot begin PSB’s process until this Candidate membership has been confirmed)
- Successfully complete the Ethics & Professionalism Course and test
- Log the appropriate qualifying responsible professional planning experience (the equivalent of two years’ experience is necessary if you are applying with an Accredited Degree; or the equivalent of one year’s experience if you are applying through the Prior Learning Assessment Recognition (PLAR) route or with a certified professional membership from an international planning institute with which the profession has a reciprocal agreement), and have your Sponsor sign off on your logs
- Complete a minimum of one year of mentorship, and have your Mentor sign off on your record of mentorship
- Successfully complete the Professional examination (this is the final step, and can only be taken once all of the above steps have been achieved)
Please note that the mentorship and experience logging processes can be concurrent, which may shorten the time to certification in some cases.
Once you have completed all the steps and requirements for professional certification, based on PSB’s assessment of all material you have submitted, we will report on that assessment and make a recommendation to your PTIA. The PTIA will then move forward with the process to admit you formally to full (certified) membership and Registered Professional Planner (RPP) or equivalent status.
Please note that completion of the PSB assessment process does not automatically grant full membership. Formal admission to full membership is the prerogative of the PTIA following our assessment process.
Completion of the professional certification process and admission to full membership is a significant milestone and substantial personal and professional achievement, and PSB congratulates you. Both CIP and your PTIA have programs and activities to honour newly admitted full members, such as the issuance for formal membership certificates and public recognition.